H e is one of the most outstanding experts in dynamic systems and neural networks applied to visual arts. He was Lecturer and Researcher at the University of Bologna, where he carried out in-depth studies on the biological bases of aesthetic taste and on the automatic elaboration processes of visual and multi-sensorial information . As a promoter of the close relation between Art and Science, he has held many workshops and conferences at several universities, CNR, private foundations and museums.
His research, always in progress, has highlighted three innovative aspects:
- You can enhance the attractive power of any image so that it can challenge the audience indifference by overwhelming the other informations.
- You can “convert” the space language of images into the time language of a narrative sequence.
- The narration of an art work evolves according to the self-generating principle of neural networks, regardless of the free interpretation of a traditional narrator.
Through these and other scientific criteria, he has elaborated works by great artists from ages and places deliberately different from each other to detect deep structures of their languages and the biopsychic mechanisms which are at the base of "the inborn code of beauty". In such perspective works by Leonardo, Tiziano, Magritte, Miro', Beuys, Pesce, Kutner, Cattelan and others have been elaborated.
He is now the director of SynapticArt, a Laboratory of Multy-Sensorial Expressive Systems. - Museum of Arts and Science, Milan.
SYNAPTIC ART, Laboratory for the Optimization of Visual and Multisensory Systems
- Operating area: painting, advertising, design, video installations , display systems
- a) Optimize concepts and author works so that they can penetrate the overall inattention
- b) Create peaks of "energetic resonance" between the work and the corporeality of users
- Theoretic reference: paradigm of dynamic systems and neural self-generating networks
- Methodology: interdisciplinary
- Technological procedures: configurations will be handled by a computer with two procedures:
- a) Trouble-shooting for systems with a weak communicative incisiveness
- b) Reverse-engineering for systems with an ascertained international success
- Participants: Subscriptions are reserved to:
- - Sector's agents
- - Young talents
- - Art's experts
- Number of students: from 12 to 18 subscribers
- Duration of the course: three months with weekly frequency on the weekends
- Utility of the course: this course is designed to optimize the projects and works of every student in addition to offer new operating tools
- Supervisor: Nicola Colecchia
Main publications and essays
- Nicola Colecchia (1990) Il Simbolismo Grafico CLUEB, Bologna
- Nicola Colecchia e Filippo Zaccardi (2000) La Rottura della Simmetria nella Comunicazione Visiva FrancoAngeli, Milano
- Nicola Colecchia (2004) Magritte nella Rete: approccio neurale al linguaggio pittorico FrancoAngeli, Milano
- Nicola Colecchia (2014)The Attractive Power of Art Words Amazon.com
- Nicola Colecchia (2014)Cutting-Edge Exhibition Systems Amazon.com
- Nicola Colecchia (2015)The Myseriuous Smile of Mona Lisa Amazon.com
- Nicola Colecchia (2015) Magritte's Cloud and Vertigo Amazon.it
- Nicola Colecchia (2015) Anatomy of a Painting Amazon.it
- Other work of the same author can be downloaded from synapticart.org